After a series of programs about America’s Godly Heritage, we are left with a difficult question: “If America was at one time and perhaps still is considered to be a Christian nation, why we are in the throes of a moral meltdown — and immorality has become the new norm?”
1) 22% of all pregnancies end in abortion, and over 50 million unborn babies have been destroyed since the Roe v. Wade decision in 1973.
2) 40% of all babies are now born to single mothers. (That was only 5% in 1960.)
3) 33% of children are being raised in single-parent homes. (Only 9% in 1960.)
4) 50% of marriages end in divorce. (Under 10% in 1960.)
5) Six states have legalized same-sex marriage. (That was unimaginable in 1960!)
In addition, we permit rampant pornography to feed all of this, producing a trail of ruined men, exploited women, broken marriages, abused children, disease, crime, and often violent death.
If it’s true, as George Washington said, that “Religion and morality are indispensable supports for political prosperity”, we then need to ask ourselves: “Where is the church in all of this, where are the pastors, and what can ‘We the People’ do to help bring America back to its Christian roots?”
That is the question we’ll be asking this weekend on Valley Faith in Action as we talk about “Watchmen on the Wall: For God & Country”. Our guest is Stephen McDowell, the President of the Providence Foundation in Charlottesville and also President of the Foundation’s Biblical Worldview University. He has written numerous books and training courses on America’s Christian history and on the need to live by Biblical principles in order to prosper as a nation.
* * * *
Valley Faith in Action airs on WAZT-TV at 8:00 p.m., Friday, 8:30 p.m. Sunday, and Wednesday midnight. It is available on Comcast Channel 13 in Harrisonburg and parts of Rockingham, but varies in other areas. However, if you miss the TV program, you can also watch it and earlier programs online anytime HERE.